These days more and more people are staying close to home, while also looking for new ways to entertain. This includes things like tree swings, outdoor game sets, and having close family or friends over for a comfortable outdoor cookout.
One great way to entertain guests and kids is to put a trampoline in your yard. If this sounds like something you’re considering, you might be pleased to hear that today modern trampolines are safer than ever before. This is thanks in part to improvements in engineering methods as well as new safety standards.
What To Look For In A Trampoline
Of course, not all trampolines are created equal. If you want to buy a rectangular trampoline for your backyard that’s safe for kids and guests, you should consider the following factors.
A Heavy Duty Trampoline Frame
While trampoline materials, springs, and other connecting hardware can vary, the physics of every trampoline diverts the force of every single bounce to the frame. The frame then transfers that force to the underlying ground.
You want to give the frame a good hard look for thick tubular steels, and clean, professional welds throughout. While you’re at it, also keep a close eye out for any sharp edges on the inside or outside of the frame. Especially at the corners.
You also want to pay attention to the exterior protection. You want to see galvanized steel or some type of heavy-duty outdoor protective paint. After all the trampoline is going to live outdoors full time. That means it needs to be able to stand up to the rain and wind, for years without rusting.
The Trampoline’s Weight Rating
The best trampolines have weight ratings printed clearly on the box as well as in the owner’s manual. Ideally, you want to see some staggering numbers in the weight rating. Especially if you have fast-growing children, or you have some family and friends who enjoy a little bounce from time to time. If you go beyond the trampoline’s stated weight rating, it could damage it, or possibly get someone hurt.
A Trampoline Safety Net Is A Must!
In the 1990s trampolines got a bad reputation for being dangerous. This was due in large part to the fact that safety nets were usually an expensive extra accessory, rather than included in the purchase. Even when you did pull out the extra money for a safety net it was often weak and could be knocked over accidentally.
Today trampoline safety nets have taken some major evolutionary steps forward. You still want to keep your eyes out for thick netting and robust connecting hardware. You also want to prioritize a tall trampoline safety net over a short one. Just in case you have a kid or an adult who loves to bounce high!
The Trampoline’s Padding
The edge of the trampoline also needs to have robust padding. Just in case someone jumps too close to the sides. It also helps protect the jumpers from direct contact with the springs as well as any other connecting hardware.
Considering The Shape Of The Trampoline
A lot of trampolines are round or have a basic oval shape. The benefit here is that there is a sweet spot in the dead center of the trampoline where a single person can get the “Best Bounce.” The drawback here is that a round trampoline can be tricky if multiple people want to use the trampoline at the same time. Especially if a heavy individual bounces in the middle just as someone else is bouncing nearby.
With a rectangular trampoline, there is a more consistent bounce quality across the plane of the trampoline. It makes rectangular trampolines an arguably better option for entertaining groups of people like you would at a backyard BBQ cookout.
Assembly And Installation
There’s no doubt about it, trampolines are complex works of engineering. They rarely come fully assembled. So, unless you’re buying a display model on a clearance sale, chances are good you are going to have to put it together yourself. It’s nearly impossible to do on your own. Make sure to recruit another adult to help you with assembly. Preferably one who is mechanically inclined.
In a pinch, there are some smartphone apps that make it easy to outsource labor to local contractors. This includes trampoline installers.
Setting Up Trampoline Safety Rules
Setting up safety rules for the trampoline is an absolute must. Even a trampoline with the highest safety rating and premium engineering can still be dangerous if it’s used improperly. The following are commonsense safety rules to enforce diligently.
- Children must be over the age of 5
- At least one adult must be on hand to supervise
- Stunts like somersaults and backflips are prohibited
- Do not bounce or jump off the trampoline to dismount
- Do not jump on the trampoline when wet
Where Should I Place My Trampoline?
Trampoline placement is also an important safety factor. Ideally, you want to find a spot that is clear of potential hazards. This includes things like fences, hedges, trees, and laundry lines. You should place it on a somewhat soft surface like sand, or soft ground which helps absorb energy that’s transferred from the bounce to the frame to the Earth.
If possible, you might want to also invest in some crash mats that you can put around the trampoline. This is handy for safe dismounting.
Which Are The Best Rectangular Trampolines?
- Your purchase includes One Skywalker Jump-N-Dunk Rectangular 15' Trampoline with enclosure
- Trampoline dimensions: 15’ x 9’ x 9’. Frame height from ground: 37.4”. Jumping surface: 92 sq. ft. Weight limit: 250 lbs.
- This trampoline uses two different (80-7” & 4-5.5”) springs. These are 25mm.
- Made of soft, safe play materials with a hook-and-loop breakaway rim to minimize damage to enclosure net and poles
- Trampoline offers a safe and fun way for everyone to get a great exercise outdoors
- Patented enclosure features unique G3 pole design for easy setup
- Easy access L shaped zipper door includes safety clip lock
- Contrasting colored safety pad highlights the entrance of the trampoline
- Can be used for both family fun and fitness training
- PERFECT FOR SMALL BACKYARD: 7×10FT frame with 5.5×8.5FT jumping area, a must have small rectangular trampoline gift for beginners and young children
- STEEL WIRE RAIL SUPPORT NET: Top of trampoline net is supported by 8 steel wire rails, which is in high strength and corrosion resistance, will better withstand storm. This also reduces net sagging, increases its lifetime and enlarges the inner space. Making you enjoy stereo sense and wider FOV
- Galvanized steel frame
- Fully integrated enclosure system
- Durable oversized pad
- Heavy-duty galvanized springs for a softer, higher bounce
- Heavy-duty polyethylene netting
- Let your kids jump for the sky safely with this rectangular trampoline with safety net enclosure
- 10 x 14-foot trampoline features 140 square feet of jumping space
- Patented premium mesh netting and enclosure system keep your kids from jumping off the trampoline
- Dual closure entry with zipper and buckles allows children to quickly and easily enter or exit
- Easy to assemble thanks to the unique G3 top rail system
JUMP POWER 72" x 50" Rectangle Indoor/Outdoor Trampoline & Safety Net with Swing Combo. for Toddlers & Kids
- 72" x 50" Rectangular Indoor/Outdoor Kids Trampoline and Safety Net with Swing Combo
- SPRING SAFETY PAD: Covers the Springs for added protection. Jumping Mat made of Heavy Duty Grade A Black Trampoline fabric
- 42 - Zinc Coated Galvanized Steel 3-1/2" Springs to resist rust & for extra bounce.
- HEAVY GAUGE: 16-Gauge Galvanized Steel Tubing & Legs- Frame has Orange Blow-Molded Plastic Legs on the outside
- BEAUTIFUL DINOSAUR PRINT DESIGN: Product Dimensions - 72" x 50" x 73" - Single User-Weight Recommend:110lbs.
- Square shape provides a more robust frame, and efficient use of yard space
- Square shape provides 20 percent more jumping space and larger corner to corner measurement
- Patented no gap enclosure system eliminates gaps (Patent #RE45, 182)
- Meets or exceeds all ASTM safety standards. Recommended age: 6+
- Reinforced T-sockets increase the stability and prevent structural twisting
- Weather and rust resistant galvanized steel frame construction
Best Trampoline USA - Galactic Xtreme Gymnastic Outdoor Trampoline with Net Enclosure - High Performance Commercial Grade I Life-time Warranty,...
- WEIGHT LIMIT: Our trampoline can easily hold a car, with the engine fully intact. 1500 lbs.
- SAFEST JUMPING MAT ON THE PLANET: Don’t run the risk of your child falling through the jumping mat, because of weather-worn jumping mats. Our new and improved jumping mats are designed to last more than 20-30 years, even in the harshest weather conditions, to withstand extreme desert sun or arctic snow.
- COMMERCIAL GRADE FRAME - 3.0 mm thick, double dipped galvanized inside and out to fight against rust and corrosion. Ideal for competitive jumpers, gymnastic, cheer training, or novice bouncers.