A wedding is undoubtedly one of the most special events in a person’s life. Rich with memories, close connections and cherished moments that will last a lifetime. In this same vein, a properly planned BBQ cookout can also be a very special event. Rich with the flavor of smoked meat as well as renewed connections with family and friends.
So, it should come as no surprise that more and more wedding receptions end up also being down-home BBQ cookout extravaganzas! Of course, the joining of these two special events isn’t something to be taken lightly. Truth be told, if you are going to feed a herd of loved ones, then you are going to need to be fully prepared.
In this article, we will take a closer look at some of the important details that need to be addressed when marrying a wedding to a classic BBQ cookout.
BBQ Wedding Invitations
Before the first smoking wood is lit, before the first spice rub is stirred together, you’ll need to send out invitations to your BBQ wedding. The goal here is to make sure your potential guests realize that it’s not just a wedding and not just a BBQ cookout. That it is indeed both!
Custom printing the invitations to look like a checkerboard tablecloth might be a nice touch. Though it might not be in everyone’s budget. If you want to go with a more traditional wedding invitation, you could still do something like replacing the elegant sheet of vellum with wax or butcher paper.
Choosing The Décor & Flowers
Whether you are having your reception at a traditional banquet hall, or you’re just putting up a pavilion tent near the family barbecue pit, you still want to be mindful of both themes. One easy way to do this is to start at the tables. Tablecloths with a barbecue theme and a central paper towel holder will help keep the functional levels of a barbecue in place, while still letting you have a lot of blank canvass for keeping the decorations elegant.
Choosing the right kind of flowers are key to matching the decor. The choices shouldn’t stray so far from traditional outdoor weddings. Sunflowers, lilies, roses, and even daisies make great choices. Being that its outdoors, you may even consider hanging garden flowers such as petunias, geraniums, fuchsia, begonia, portulaca, bacopa, lobelia, geraniums nasturtiums or osteospermum. A popular choice when in season are bleeding hearts
While you’re at it, you might want to also offer some large barbecue bibs and wet naps. After all, there will be a lot of people in very nice clothing. Especially the bride in a flowing white dress, who may not be comfortable being so close to a big bottle of red sticky barbecue sauce.
When it comes to glassware, canning jars for water, sweet tea, or beer sitting alongside champagne flutes can be great to keep both themes alive on the wedding party’s table.
If you are planning to host your BBQ cookout wedding reception at a friend or relative’s home, or perhaps a local park, then chances are you have some room to work with. Rather than keeping everyone cooped up in a pavilion tent or banquet hall, you might want to think about opening up the doors to offer your guests some outdoor games to play.
The following are some very popular, and reasonably priced games for multiple guests to play.
Also known to many as “Bags” to some, is one of the most popular outdoor party games. If you have multiple sets you could even put together a corn hole tournament with brackets. This lets some people play while others mingle and socialize. It also keeps people from not being tied down to just one place.
While it’s sometimes thought of as being more of a European game that has really caught on in the United States and Canada. It’s one of those games that takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master. Someone throws a small ball, and everyone else tries to get their larger balls close to it. There’s also a competitive edge in that you can knock someone else’s ball out of the way!
This is the classic Hasbro stack of wooden blocks on steroids. The blocks are larger, the tower is taller, and when it finally does crash down it tends to be dramatic!
This is a backyard take on the increasingly popular game of frisbee golf. Here again, you can play in a small group or put together a tournament to keep guests mingling in and out of the game.
AmazonBasics Ladder Toss Outdoor Lawn Game Set with Soft Carrying Case - 40 x 24 Inches, Red and Blue
12 used from $26.24
- Easy-to-learn game offers interactive family fun
- Includes 2 upright ladder-shaped targets, 3 blue bolas, and 3 red bolas
- PVC pipes create target framework, which measures 40 x 24 inches each
- Simple to assemble; lightweight; carry case included for easy transport and storage
- Designed for 2 to 4 players; suitable for ages 14 and up; for indoor/outdoor play
3 used from $56.99
- FOUR PLAYER ACTION – Spikeball is a fun, active, and competitive (if you want it to be) 2 on 2 outdoor indoor sports game played on college campuses, tailgates, the lawn, yard, backyard, beach or gym with rules kind of like volleyball.
- PLAY ANYWHERE - Spikeball is perfect for the backyard, the beach, or even your living room!
- FOLDABLE LEGS make the product tougher. Errant dives and falls happen, these legs can take the abuse. Bonus! They make it easier to store Spikeball in your trunk, closet or garage
- A GAME FOR YOU & YOUR KIDS: Spend some quality with your children, go outside and play a game of darts! There’s no better way to improve your aim and have a blast at the same time.
- TIPS THAT GLOW IN THE DARK: As long as there is a light on the dart tips, they will glow in the dark, making them perfect for a late-night game of darts with your family!
- HAVE A DOSE OF OUTDOORSY FUN: Perfect for the beach, the lawn or your backyard, these glow-in-the-dark darts are perfect for all soft surfaces but not so much for harder surfaces since they would bounce.
GoSports Giant Wooden Toppling Tower (Stacks to 5+ Feet), Choose Between Natural, Brown Stain or Gray Stain, Includes Bonus Rules...
9 used from $61.59
- Department Name: unisex-teen
GoSports Classic Cornhole Set - Includes 8 Bean Bags, Travel Case and Game Rules (Choose Between Classic, American Flag, and...
11 used from $43.91
- PATRIOTIC FUN: Game set includes 2 premium 3 feet x 2 feet foldable cornhole boards crafted from solid MDF, 8 all-weather regulation bean bags, portable carrying case and rules
- RUSTIC AMERICAN DESIGN: Vintage inspired cornhole boards designed to look like repurposed barnwood planks featuring the American Flag – the Stars and Stripes design is also perfect for display when not in use
- EVENT DAY FAVORITE: Hours of fun with friends and family at tailgates, holiday weekends, cookouts, campsites, and more
5 used from $33.29
- COMPLETE SET: 90mm (3.54") Bocce Balls weighing 1lb 11oz each, (2 Red + 2 Green + 2 Blue + 2 Yellow)
- CANVAS BOCCE BAG: Includes durable canvas carrying case to easily enjoy Bocce outdoors and to store after use
- HIGH GLOSS BALLS: 8 premium balls with 2 Red (1 Circle Cut, 1 Square Cut), 2 Blue (1 Circle Cut, 1 Square Cut), 2 Green (1 Circle Cut, 1 Square Cut), 2 Yellow (1 Circle Cut, 1 Square Cut) and 1 40mm white Pallino
6 used from $29.28
- The #1 Outdoor Party Game in America. Kan Jam is a tremendously fun and popular competitive team game in the same family as Ultimate Frisbee, Frisbee golf, corn hole, and basketball.
- Kan Jam is a tremendously fun and popular competitive team game in the same family as Ultimate Frisbee, Frisbee golf, corn hole, and basketball
- Set includes two portable, weatherproof goals, an official Kan Jam disc (color may vary), and play instructions
GoSports 6’ x 3’ Mid-Size Table Tennis Game Set | Indoor / Outdoor Portable Table Tennis Game with Net, 2...
17 used from $104.24
- COMPLETE SET: Includes a mid-size 6’ x 3’ table tennis table with 2 paddles, game net and 4 balls
- MIDSIZE TABLE: Table surface measures 6’ x 3’ – large enough for competitive games, but small enough to store anywhere
- INSTANT SETUP: Folds out for play and folds up for storage in seconds and is easily carried by one person using built-in carrying handles - perfect for game rooms, apartments, offices, or anyone who doesn’t want to deal with a full size table
5 used from $50.59
- COMPLETE CROQUET SET: Includes 6 color mallets, 6 balls, 9 wickets, 2 end posts and rules
- DELUXE: Full size 35 inch handles can be used by players of all sizes; Handles are wrapped with comfort grip for superior control and convenience; The croquet balls weigh 10 ounce each with a diameter of 3 inches
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: Mallets are crafted from premium Hardwoods for durability and feature a modern design that will look great on any lawn or backyard
MegaChess Giant Oversized Premium Chess Pieces Complete Set with 25 Inch Tall King - Black and White
- MOST POPULAR SET: The Premium 25-Inch Plastic Giant Chess Set is the most popular set from MegaChess. It includes 16 black and 16 white pieces. The Giant Chess Pieces range in height from a 25-inch king to a 16-inch-tall pawn. The set can be used both indoors and outdoors and is made with high-quality, long-lasting materials. Chess can become a communal experience and bring together family and friends when played out in the open on a lifesize set. Chess board is sold separately.
Choosing A Service Style For A BBQ Cookout Wedding Reception
When it comes to the style of service you have three choices, each has its own pros and cons.
Individual or Plated Service
This is more common in a banquet hall where there is a large staff bringing plated meals to each individual based on a food order that they put in with their RSVP. This option is more common for a traditional wedding reception than it is for a BBQ cookout.
This is a little more common in traditional weddings than at a BBQ cookout. Especially if you will be serving different types of meat and a wide range of side dishes. Though if you are somewhere like Texas, where beef is the known commodity or the Carolinas where pulled pork and whole hog are kings, then family-style service is a great way to keep guests in their seats for the wedding speeches and announcements.
This style of service is more common for a BBQ cookout. Especially if you’re going to be service multiple types of meat. That way people can take what they want of beef, pork, chicken, or fish, as well as the sides.
Choosing A Menu For A BBQ Cookout Wedding Reception
Depending on where you live, there can be some already entrenched notions about what to put on your BBQ wedding reception menu. For example, if you’re in Texas, then beef brisket, ribs, and link sausages are already a locked-in option, and you might be looking instead at side dishes.
There can be some strong opinions about what to serve. In general, sticky red sauce barbecue is often the most challenging for wedding guests wearing nice clothes. So, that might influence whether you want people to roll up their sleeves for a rib feed or simply offer them pulled pork that they can sauce as they see fit.
Once you’ve chosen the main meats you want to offer at the BBQ wedding reception, you can start to dial in the side dishes. Some of the most popular include:
- Baked Beans
- Traditional Coleslaw
- Italian Coleslaw
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Texas Toast White Bread
- Garlic Bread
- Potato Salad
- Burnt Ends
- Mashed Potatoes
- Au Gratin Potatoes
- French Fries
- Potato Chips
- Collard Greens
- Mesclun Salad
- Shrimp Cocktail
- Mock Crab Salad
- Fried Green Tomatoes